Early Start Australia | VIC | Camberwell (formerly Melvin Speech Pathology) is a Paediatric Speech Pathology and Occupational Therapy practice that has been providing speech pathology services for more than 30 years to preschool and school aged children.
We offer services for children aged between 0-18 who present with a wide variety of needs and have extensive experience in dealing with children and families presenting with ASD.
We deliver our services in our clinic, via Telehealth and offer mobile services at childcare, preschool, and school settings. We also run intensive programs during the school holidays.
Our team brings experience and energy to deliver evidence-based OT and Speech Pathology assessment and intervention. Our family-centred approach to therapy aims to empower kids and families to reach their goals.
Services we deliver
Programs we deliver
Meet Our Principal
Brooke has a Bachelor of Health Science and a Master of Speech Pathology, and is the Practice Principal and Senior Speech Pathologist at our Camberwell and Oakleigh clinics. She has worked with clients in all stages of the life span with an aim to assist her clients achieve their communication goals in ways that are fun and functional, for them and their support network. Brooke’s positive nature and ability to make quick connections with those around her ensures her clients, their families and teams feel supported and understood.
Brooke has gained a large and continuing skillset in a range of areas. Not only does Brooke provide individual therapy sessions, but she also thrives in running a number of groups with preschool and school age children (and previously with adults). These groups have been run in areas including social skills, language skills, literacy, corporate networking and soft skills, and vocal health.
Meet Our Team
Our team at Early Start Australia in Camberwell acknowledges that every child presents with their own unique skills and abilities. Therefore, we use a strengths-based approach to therapy, where children’s strengths are encouraged and incorporated into therapy plans. This ensures that children leave sessions feeling empowered to work towards their goals. As a family centred practice, we are also focused on helping parents and caregivers in providing support to their child.
With a selection of assessments to help identify the issues, our highly experienced team can guide and empower the family to best support their child’s learning goals.
Our team works with children with a range of difficulties that affect the child’s ability to perform their everyday activities, some difficulties that our team supports children in developing skills in includes and is not limited to:
- Attention and concentration issues
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Emotional regulation
- Fine motor abilities such as handwriting
- Gross motor abilities, including muscle control and coordination
- Over activity or excessive movement
- Self-care skills such as dressing, feeding and toileting
- Sensory processing difficulties such as (touch, taste, smell, movement and sight)
- Eating or drinking e.g. fussy eaters, limited food choices, fear of foods
- Learning e.g. remembering things, planning, problem-solving, organisation
- Play and social skills
- Prescribing and using adaptive equipment e.g. bath chairs, car seats, hoists, wheelchairs.
- Apraxia of speech
- Articulation (e.g. lisp. speech sounds)
- Auditory processing
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Language development (receptive & expressive)
- Phonological disorders (e.g. swapping sounds, leaving sounds off)
- Social communication / pragmatics and confidence
- Speech development
- Understanding and following instructions
Often when working towards goals there are areas of overlap and therefore our interdisciplinary team is dedicated to working with clients and assisting them in reaching their potential through collaborative methods in providing quality care.
Please call us on 03 9889 9010 if you would like further information.