Hanen programs are evidence-based and world-renowned parent-training programs designed to teach parents how to implement speech and language therapy into their everyday activities with their child.
Research has shown that Hanen programs are effective towards improving both children’s speech and language abilities, as well as parents’ skills.
The Hanen Centre has devised different programs to target specific areas of need. Hanen programs involve a parental commitment of attending group training workshops for three or more months as well as individual sessions for you and your child at certain stages.
Hanen: It Takes Two To Talk is an evidence-based parent training program which promotes speech and language in children aged 0-5 years with a language delay.
Studies have shown that, when compared to a control group:
Children whose parents participated in a Hanen program showed:
- An increased ability to interact and take turns
- Had larger vocabulary
- Had a greater variety of words
- Used more multi-word sentences
- Used target words in a number of different contexts
- Used more speech sounds
Caregivers learn to:
- To be less directive and more responsive
- Use slower, less complex language
- And use target words more frequently
- Caregiver-child interactions became more balanced, frequent and last longer
This program is available at:
- SA | Christies Beach (p: 08 8186 6188 e: [email protected])
- SA | Ridgehaven (p: 08 8264 7257 e: [email protected])
- Vic | Camberwell (p: 03 9889 9010 e: [email protected])
- Vic | Canterbury (p: 03 9880 7183 e: [email protected])
- Vic | South Morang (p: 03 9436 0668 e: [email protected])
- Vic | Werribee (p: 03 9731 7583 e: [email protected])
- WA | Armadale (p: 08 9399 8547 e: [email protected])
- WA | Ellenbrook (p: 08 6296 2726 e: [email protected])
- WA | Shenton Park (p: 08 9382 8538 e: [email protected])
- WA | Stirling (p: 08 6559 7004 e: [email protected])
- WA | Subiaco (p: 08 9382 8538 e: [email protected])
Program delivery varies between clinics so please check with your local clinic about their programs.