Hanen programs are evidence-based and world-renowned parent-training programs designed to teach parents how to implement speech and language therapy into their everyday activities with their child.
Research has shown that Hanen programs are effective towards improving both children’s speech and language abilities, as well as parents’ skills.
The Hanen Centre has devised different programs to target specific areas of need. Hanen programs involve a parental commitment of attending group training workshops for three or more months as well as individual sessions for you and your child at certain stages.
Hanen: TalkAbility teaches parents how to help their child learn social communication skills.
- Children who find it difficult to hold a conversation with others
- Children who have difficulty playing with children their own age
- Children who have difficulty talking about things that interest someone else
Parents will learn practical strategies that can be easily used in everyday situations to:
- Help their child develop back and forth conversation
- Encourage their child to pay attention to the social messages people send with facial expressions and gestures
- Help their child develop language to talk about their feelings and other people’s feelings
- Help their child make friends